Ladies and gentlemen, back by popular (read: nonexistent) demand, and because I know you all absolutely detest my whimsical musings: the second edition of
the Random Ramblings of a Retard!
Let's discuss a somewhat serious topic. Morality. We're not going into whether it's "worth the trouble" or even discussing its significance. Rather, I thought it might be thought-provoking enough by simply discussing what is morality? The less patient of you will no doubt find the question underwhelming. "What is morality? How very profound,” I fancy myself hearing you say. But charming sarcasm aside, what really is morality? Stopping to help an old lady cross the busy road on your way to work? Or offering a hand to someone struggling under some heavy load, and help to ease their burden? Obviously, those are acts of heart-warming kindness that one might occasionally catch a glimpse of if one is lucky, but is morality limited to just helping old Mister Abernathy whenever he accidentally locks himself in his room?
I apologize for my inability to be concise and straight to the point. The question that I pose is this: is it what we do that defines our "moral standing", or is it why we do it? I risk undermining whatever serious 'mood' I have managed to instill by raising this scenario: A Paladin walks into a tavern, and notices a man sitting dejectedly at the bar with his head in his ale. He walks up to the man and inquires the reason for his sorry state, and learns that the poor man's farm has recently been overrun by a band of vicious goblins. Without hesitation, the Paladin declares that he will rid the land of the greenskin scum, and proceeds to bring the sword to the nasty creatures. But after he has laid down the goblin menace, the Paladin returns to the tavern with his good news, only for the farmer to leap up in joy and leaving for his farm without thanking the Paladin. The abandoned hero is left standing disappointed in the tavern, for he had expected at least a word of thanks from the grateful farmer.
Drawing upon that laughable specimen of an example, is the Paladin a 'good' person? Of course, he took the trouble to clear out the greenskins plaguing the helpless farmer, but he did expect some thanks for his task. Not monetary, but still some other form of recognition, and was rather put out that the farmer ignored him for his farm. With that in mind, does true morality, true 'good' mean that one is willing to do good, without hoping for the smallest scraps of appreciation?
Now that I've wasted so much of your time, I think perhaps I should come clean on the point of all this balderdash. Recently, I have discovered that whenever the urge strikes me to do something 'good', that strange compulsion will always be followed closely by a 'daydream' of sorts that shows the extreme appreciation of others and what I may receive in return for my dubious show of aid. To put my question in another way: by thinking (unconsciously I'd like to stress) of reward when I offer my help, does that make me insincere? Those 'illusions of grandeur' always come unbidden, with tantalizing visions of great returns for my troubles. I often wonder if they have an influence on my actions; whether I merely help because I want to and can, or am I driven by the empty bounties promised by those 'visions'? It is disturbing to think that I may have somehow become a materialistic individual, out only for personal gains and instant gratifications, without realizing the dreadful truth.
So there you have it: yet another nonsensical post by this nonsensical person. I hope reading this has at least provoked some thought on your part, and also for that thought to not involve hitting me with a sledghammer for wasting your time. What I've put forth here today is of course merely a small part of the complex network of actions, behaviors, feelings and principles that make up the entire concept of Morality, but I hope that you have gained some profound insights from reading, though I ask to be excused for not putting my hopes up too high.
The Emperor protects.
2 comments:
hahax...yeah..its thought-provoking ^^ i love it...
hmm...personally i would like to ask ...if we offer the help with the thought that it might make us happy in the end, does that make us insincere too?? since we do it on the purpose that we might scrape some happiness in the end....
everything we did have a purpose...even when we sleep, our aim is to be more energetic...even when we fall in love, our hope is to get more love from the other party...that doesnt make us insincere or greedy, that make us have more drive to do the good deeds =) by the way its just my point of view...
This is a reply to Eunice's post.
That's exactly what I've been trying (and failing miserably) to say! Does it make our actions less sincere if we do it for the sake feeling happy for our own actions? Isn't that like glorifying something that is nothing more than our simple duty towards another human being?
Profound indeed. :P Thanks for the comment, by the way.
Post a Comment