Now, more than ever, Social Studies is becoming a lesson in boredom. And Language Development isn't the most fascinating subject either, and has never been. But I like Language Description. And English Studies.
The reason I enjoy those subjects is simply because they allow for more participation than the other two. English Studies is especially fun, because learning "Macbeth" is actually a very stimulating experience. There is so much going on between the lines, hidden messages secreted away to be found. Finding them is very rewarding. Maybe it's an ego thing: I feel happy because I see things that no one else in the class does. So I'm delusional as well as egotistical. Good to know.
Of course, just reading the text itself and appreciating the unique way Shakespeare wrote his lines is an enjoyment by itself. There's just this indescribable and inexplicable joy that comes from reading a particularly poetic line. It's like listening to a song with lyrics that you can really relate to. There is a connection that somehow makes the text more intimate and enjoyable.
Language Description, on the other hand, is fun because it's the most "intellectual" of my four Majors. There are just so many rules and nuances to grammar that mastering it becomes a challenge, albeit an interesting one. Like with E.S., there's something to be said about discovering a particularly well-hidden mistake that everyone makes without noticing. I think it's the joy of learning something new, a new... spin/take on what has already been established. Grammar is both fixed and in flux, and that makes learning it extra interesting, because you never know what is coming around the corner... (But it can still get boring sometimes... Tenses. Urgh. ^^)
I guess the point of this post would be to say that I'm enjoying my studies here. Nothing is too taxing, thanks to my history of using the language. It's been said before by my friends, and I agree with them that yes, I'm truly fortunate to have been streamed into the TESL unit.
Imagine if I had been sent to the Chinese unit. Or worse: Bahasa Melayu. That's a nightmare I would not wish on any English-speaking, B.M.-inept person. Except maybe Claire.
No comments:
Post a Comment