Let me make something clear: I'm not a multiplayer person. Even back in The Day, when I used to play World of Warcraft (private server, sadly), I was a loner. That made Raiding impossible, but missing out on mobbing a particularly nasty... well, mob wasn't exactly a great loss in my book.
Then I played Dawn of War 2's first official DLC, The Last Stand. And it sucked. For those of you who aren't aware (that's almost everyone reading this; no offense), The Last Stand is a special multiplayer mode that pits a team of three Heroes (the Eldar Farseer, the Ork Mekbo and the Space Marine Captain) against 20 waves of assorted mobs and minibosses. The goal is to simply survive, but like everything else in this cold, cold world, that's easier said than done.
I barely made it past the third wave in my first game before getting hacked into pieces. My following forays into that arena of no uncertain death weren't any better, with my personal best being only 7-8 waves before being sent merrily on my way to the Golden Throne. And yet, somehow, I found myself enjoying it.
In some strange, totally obscene way, there was fun in losing three consecutive games with two other complete strangers who happened to be my teammates. I think it was their sense of humor that got me. I honestly can't say that anyone else had ever laughed at my idiosyncratic "Dakkadakkadakka!" or "For the Emperor!" 'battlecries', other than dear, dear Kok Yang. It's a refreshing change. And they were nice even though we lost, never shifting the blame onto anyone even though there were scenarios where I think I was the cause for our defeats. So there was much pleasure in playing with them. Would that there were more people like them. Friendly and polite, even to complete strangers.
Proud to call them my comrades, and to have fought with them for those three gains in level.
Emperor guide your blade/bolter/shoota, my brother(s)/sister(s) in arms!
No comments:
Post a Comment